- > English
- > Patients & Families
- > Hospital Introduction
- > Hospital Divisions
- > medical_subspecialties
- > Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Infectious Diseases
Our division delivers high-accuracy diagnosis and effective management of complicated infections in children.
We enthusiastically embrace collaboration and teamwork towards patient-centered care.
The division is headed by a specialist who is board certified in pediatric infectious diseases in both Japan and the US, and consists of full-time medical staff, clinical fellows and research staff. We collaborate with the microbiology laboratory to obtain accurate and specific diagnoses, and the Department of Pharmacy to optimize antimicrobial therapy.
We carry out consultations for patients with complicated infectious diseases in our hospital. Our outpatient clinic treats children with recurrent fevers, chronic infections and diseases, and we provide second opinions for children recently diagnosed with an infectious disease. We also offer immunization for children with special needs at our vaccination center.
Diagnosis and treatment policy
- Optimal clinical care is the most important service we can provide for our patients today.Our clinical care is based on the most up-to-date clinical evidence and cutting-edge molecular diagnostics. We strive to improve infectious disease-related care at our hospital and protect patients from complications through our antimicrobial stewardship program.
- Innovative research in the field is the most important contribution we can make towards future breakthroughs in health care. Despite advances in medicine, few specific therapies exist for many infectious diseases. Through bench-to-bedside research, we seek novel diagnostic and therapeutic options to provide better and more effective care for children diagnosed with complicated infections.
- Our service is dedicated to the prevention of infectious diseases by promoting good infection control practices, immunization, and appropriate antimicrobial prophylaxis. We collaborate with colleagues from various disciplines and provide educational services to colleagues in all medical specialties regarding infectious disease-related issues.
Pediatric infectious diseases, bacterial infections, viral infections, infections in compromised hosts, immunizations, use of antimicrobials
Congenital infections, neonatal infections, meningitis, encephalitis, deep infections of the head and neck, pneumonia, myocarditis, peritonitis, cholangitis, urinary tract infections, skin and soft tissue infections, osteomyelitis, post-operative infections, infections in immunocompromised patients
- Molecular diagnostics: we utilize real-time polymerase chain reactions (PCR) for a point-of-care diagnosis of pathogens that cannot be detected by conventional tests.
- Immunization: we carry out immunizations for children with underlying disorders