- > English
- > Patients & Families
- > Hospital Introduction
- > Hospital Divisions
- > Department of Medical Subspecialties
- > Division of Cardiology
Division of Cardiology
Our team provides diagnostic and treatment management for all patients—from fetal patients to adults—with cardiovascular disorders such as congenital heart disease in collaboration with cardiovascular surgeons.
Our division is comprised of four staff physicians and three fellows. Patients with cardiovascular disorders are generally referred to the cardiovascular surgery group. Patients with fetal cardiovascular problems, neonatal congenital heart disease, and serious cases such as fulminant myocarditis, are treated in cooperation with the fetal medicine group, neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), and pediatric intensive care unit (PICU), respectively.
Diagnosis and treatment policy
Our policy is to ensure that all infants and children born with heart disorders, or those who have acquired heart disease during childhood, have access to effective diagnostics and therapy, and are given the best possible chance of enjoying a full and healthy life. To achieve this, we provide a full range of medical care in collaboration with other divisions at the NCCHD.
- Treatment of complex neonatal congenital heart disease
- Provision of device technology—the Amplatzer septal occluder (ASO) for atrial septal defect (ASD), and the Amplatzer duct occluder (ADO) for patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)—authorized by the Japanese Pediatric Interventional Cardiology Society (JPIC)
- Management of fetal cardiac problems: we actively perform fetal echocardiography, and plan to conduct fetal cardiac intervention in the future.
- ECMO for fulminant myocarditis: our ECMO team, comprising of an intensivist, cardiac surgeon, and cardiologist, have the most extensive experience in Japan.
- Treatment of pulmonary hypertension
- Treatment of systemic connective tissue disorders, such as Marfan syndrome and Loeys-Dietz syndrome
- Treatment of arrhythmia, from medical therapy to catheter ablation
Congenital heart disease, arrhythmia, coronary disorders with Kawasaki disease, myocardial disorders, pulmonary hypertension, and Marfan syndrome.
- Catheter occlusion for ASD and PDA
- Fetal echocardiography
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) for congenital heart defects
- ECMO for fulminant myocarditis
Frequently performed tests
Echocardiography, exercise ECG with expired gas analysis, cardiac catheterization, EPS, cardiac MRI, cardiac radioisotope (RI) examination.