- > English
- > Researchers
- > Research Institute
- > Research Divisions
- > Department of Social Medicine
Department of Social Medicine
Our department takes an interdisciplinary epidemiological approach to examine the role of the fetal and early life environment in influencing health status in childhood and adolescence/adulthood. We aim to further our understanding of the determinants of disease and suffering in children and their families and use this knowledge to advocate for an environment that is optimal for childbearing and childrearing.
The collective expertise of this department's permanent staff, represented by a broad range of ongoing research, includes epidemiology, biostatistics, sociology, molecular genetics, mental health, nutrition, pediatrics, perinatal medicine, and childhood cognitive, behavioral, and social development. We utilize various methodological approaches, ranging from linkage of large national demographic and clinical databases to field-based work that involves population recruitment, biological sample collection and qualitative research strategies.
In our department, we believe epidemiological research thrives through collaboration which is essential for a continuous pursuit towards enhancing the quality and representativeness of our studies.
Our current research (as of June, 2020) addresses the following themes:
Childhood Hematological Cancers
Genetic susceptibility to childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia
In collaboration with a large network of Tokyo Children's Cancer Study Group hospitals and clinicians, DNA from saliva has been collected from childhood ALL patients and underwent whole genome microarray SNP genotyping. Case-control genome-wide association study (GWAS) analyses are being conducted to identify genetic variants associated childhood ALL risk in Japanese.
Epidemiological Study of Hematological Cancers in Children (EPI-HCC)
This case-control study aims to evaluate the role of pregnancy-related factors, fetal environment, and early postnatal exposures in the risk of childhood leukemia and lymphoma. DNA samples are also collected from children and their parents to examine the effect of gene-environment interactions, as well as possible maternal genetic effects on the risk of leukemia in the child.
The effect of inherited genetic variation on treatment-related outcomes in childhood ALL patients
Various follow-up clinical data on prognostic indictors and major treatment-related clinical manifestations have been collected and is being linked to the patients' data on inherited genetic variation. Identification of genetic variants associated with these clinical outcomes can contribute to understanding biological mechanisms and personalized genomic medicine strategies.
NCCHD Maternal-Child Cohort
As members of the NCCHD Maternal-Child Cohort research group, we are pursuing projects to understand how nutritional factors, eating habits and behavior during pregnancy and childhood influence maternal and child health. Outcomes currently under examination include, growth, cognitive development and metabolic functions. As a broader object of this cohort, we expect to pursue additional themes related to the "developmental origins of health and disease" concept.
Effect of the Social Environment in Maternal and Child Health
A collaborative study with the local government on the effect of socioeconomic disadvantage on child health and development.
Working with the city of Adachi and the Tokyo Medical and Dental University, we are examining the effects of socio-economic adversities on child health and development among students in public elementary and middle schools. We also utilize the collected data to evaluate policies and programs aimed at supporting socio-economically disadvantaged families and children.
Motivational interviewing techniques as an intervention to prevent birth defects and child maltreatment.
We are conducting intervention studies with local governments to promote the normal development of infants and to evaluate infant abuse preventive measures. In particular, we are examining the effect of motivational interviewing strategies in those who show reluctance to receiving social support.
Observational Studies Related to Childhood Obesity
Working with the city of Setagaya, we are pursuing data analysis related to preventive screening of childhood diseases based on data taken at the children's health check-up visits.
Longitudinal Population Health Survey Research in Maternal and Child Health
Government-sponsored Longitudinal Survey of Newborns in the 21st Century
Utilizing data from these national population health surveys, we evaluate issues surrounding Japanese children and families to help us understand what are the most beneficial childbearing and childrearing environment. Some topics of interest include benefits of breastfeeding and risks of unintentional injuries , early childhood dental caries, and poor adjustment to school environment.
Government-sponsored Healthy Parents and Children 21 National Survey
In collaboration with Yamanashi University and The University of Tokyo, we are utilizing existing survey data to examine the effect of municipal-sponsored programs in reducing childhood unintentional injury and parenting difficulties. The intention of these programs is to help promote normal development of the infants and prevent infant abuse.
Government-sponsored Japan Environment and Children's Study
In collaboration with Kyushu University, we are utilizing existing survey data from this national birth cohort to examine the long term effects of nutritional and behavioral exposures during pregnancy on the child's growth, development, and metabolic and endocrinological functions.
Clinical Epidemiology Studies of Pediatric Diseases
In collaboration with The University of Tokyo, we are utilizing data from the Nation-wide Diagnosis Procedure Database, to assess treatment outcomes and cost effectiveness of various drugs, procedures and treatment regimen for pediatric diseases. Examples of recent analyses undertaken include the effect of obesity on acute asthma exacerbation as well as recent treatment trends and cost-effective analyses between different treatment regimens in common pediatric disorders, including pediatric anaphylaxis, Kawasaki Disease, immune thrombocytopenia, and influenza-related respiratory disorder.
"Big data" Linkage Projects in Maternal and Child Health
We utilize data-linkage techniques to build comprehensive datasets, promote collaborative utilization of these databases, and obtain high-quality results that would not have been possible from analyzing them separately. In addition, these linkage techniques can assist in validating coverage and accuracy of individual databases, and contribute to future research infrastructure. Several of these projects are being pursued with international collaborators to compare results between countries and/or conduct pooled analyses.
Databases currently in use include nation-wide registries run by the Japan Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Japan Society of Pediatrics, Japan Society for Neonatal Health and Development, and maternal and child health related registries and surveys conducted by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.
- Kevin Urayama
- Hisako Tanaka
- Mayumi Hangai
- Aurelie Piedvache
- Shinobu Kobayashi
- Kazue Ishitsuka
- Ayaka Hasegawa
- Miwako Akeda
- Hiromi Nakano
- Sanae Kobayashi
- Tomoko Miura
- Katsura Yasuda
- Kohei Ogawa
- Tomo Suzuki
- Yukiko Honda
- Yukako Tani
- Minatsu Kobayashi
- Yuko Kachi
- Yusuke Okubo
- Emiko Yamamoto
- Shohei Harada
- Atsushi Ito
- Takeo Fujiwara
- Kayo Onishi
- Tomoyuki Tanigawa
- Yuichi Ichinose
- Kotaro Aoki
- Yui Yamaoka
- Eri Abe
- Manami Ochi
- Hisaya Tomori
- Chiharu Miyayama
- Naomi Sawada
- Makiko Sampei
- Kaori Takahata
- Katsunori Cha
- Masako Okasaka
- Kinoshita N, Morisaki N, Okubo Y, Uda K, Kasai M, Horikoshi Y, Miyairi I*: Nationwide study of outpatient oral antimicrobial utilization patterns for children in Japan (2013-2016). Journal of Infection and Chemotherapy. 2019 Jan;25(1):22-27.
- Okubo Y*, Miyairi I, Michihata N, Morisaki N, Kinoshita N, Urayama K, Yasunaga H: Recent prescription patterns for children with acute infectious diarrhea. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition. 2019 Jan;68(1):13-16.
- Ogawa K*, Morisaki N, Kobayashi M, Jwa SC, Tani Y, Sago H, Horikawa R, Fujiwara T: Reply to Shakira et al: Validation of a food frequency questionnaire for Japanese pregnant women in mid to late pregnancy. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2019 Jan;73(1):155-156.
- Ogawa K*, Matsushima S, Urayama KY, Kikuchi N, Nakamura N, Tanigaki S, Sago H, Sato S, Saito S, Morisaki N: Association between adolescent pregnancy and adverse birth outcomes, a multicenter cross sectional Japanese study. Scientific Reports. 2019 Feb 20;9(1):2365.
- Uda K, Okubo Y, Matsushima T, Sadahira C, Kono T, Hataya H. Multifocal Infantile Hemangioma. The Journal of Pediatrics. 2019 Jul;210:238-238.e1.
- Okubo Y, Hayakawa I, Nariai H, Michihata N, Matsui H, Fushimi K, Yasunaga H. Recent practice patterns in diagnostic procedures anticonvulsants, and antibiotics for children hospitalized with febrile seizure. Seizure. 2019 Apr;67:52-56.
- Gai. R., Fuji, H., Metoki, H., Ehara, A., Kato T., Ebara, H., Nishida, T., Kobayashi, G., & Mori, R.: Perspectives of value-based policy making in child health care in Japan. Annals of Translational Medicine. 2019;Mar;7(6):126.
- Uda K, Kinoshita N, Morisaki N, Okubo Y, Kasai M, Horikoshi Y, Miyairi I*: Targets for optimizing oral antibiotic prescriptions for pediatric outpatients in Japan. Japanese Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2019 May 23;72(3):149-159.
- Hitaka D*, Morisaki N, Piedvache AB, Miyazono Y, Nagafuji M, Takeuchi S, Kajikawa D, Kanai Y, Saito M, Takada H: NRNJ Neonatal outcomes of very low birthweight infants born to mothers with hyperglycaemia in pregnancy: a retrospective cohort study in Japan. BMJ Pediatrics Open. 2019;3:e000491.
- Sampei, M, Kato T, Piedvache A, Morisaki N, Saito J, Akiyama Y, Shinohara R, Yamagata Z, Urayama KY, Kondo N. Municipality-level checklist to promote parental behaviors related to prevention of unintentional injury in young children: a multilevel analysis of national data. Journal of Epidemiology. 2019 Sep 14. doi: 10.2188/jea.JE20190079.
- Hangai M, Urayama KY, Tanaka J, Kato K, Nishiwaki S, Koh K, Noguchi M, Kato K, Yoshida N, Sato M, Goto H, Yuza Y, Hashii Y, Atsuta Y, Mizuta S, Kato M : Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in Adolescents and Young Adults. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, 2019 August;25(8):1597-1602.
- Saito K*, Kuwahara A, Ishikawa T, Morisaki N, Miyado M, Miyado K, Fukami M, Miyasaka N, Ishihara O, Irahara M, Saito H：Endometrial preparation methods for frozen-thawed embryo transfer are associated with altered risks of hypertensive disorders of pregnancy, placenta accreta, and gestational diabetes mellitus. Human Reproduction. 2019 Aug 1;34(8):1567-1575.
- Okubo Y, Handa A, Belin T：Serial cross-sectional study for the association between urinary bisphenol A and paediatric obesity: Recent updates using NHANES 2003-2014．Padiatric Obesity. 2019 Dec;14(12):e12566.
- Uda K, Okubo Y, Kinoshita N, Morisaki N, Kasai M, Horikoshi Y, Miyairi I*: Nationwide survey of indications for oral antimicrobial prescription for pediatric patients from 2013 to 2016 in Japan. Journal of Infection and Chemotherapy. 2019 Oct;25(10):758-763.
- Shahoor M., Lehtonen L., Lee SK., Hakansson S.,Vento M., Darlow B., Adams M., Mori A., Lui K., Bassler D., Morisaki N., Modi N., Noguchi A., Kusuda S., Beltempo M., Helenius K., Isayama T., Reichman B., Shah P: Unit-level variations in healthcare professionals' availability for preterm neonates <29 weeks' gestation: An international survey. Neonatology. 2019;116(4):347-355.
- Saito K, Kuwahara A, Ishikawa T, Morisaki N, Miyado M, Miyado K, Fukami M, Miyasaka N, Ishihara O, Irahara M, Saito H: Reply: Artificial cycle 'per se' or the specific protocol of endometrial preparation as responsible for obstetric complications of frozen cycle? Human Reproduction. 2019 Dec 1;34(12):2554-2555.
- GBD group: Global, Regional, and National Cancer Incidence, Mortality, Years of Life Lost, Years Lived With Disability, and Disability-Adjusted Life-Years for 29 Cancer Groups, 1990 to 2017: A Systematic Analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study. JAMA Oncology. 2019 Sep 27;5(12):1749-1768.
- Sorbye IK, Vangen S, Bolumar F, Morisaki N, Gissler M, Juarez S, Nybo Andersen AM, Racape J, Small R Wood R, Urquia ML. Birthweight of babies born to migrant mothers - what role does destination country play? SSM Population Health. 2019 Oct 21;9:100503.
- Sugitate R, Okubo Y, Matsui A: Duration of Pivalate-conjugated Antibiotics and Blood Glucose Levels Among Pediatric Inpatients: Causal Mediation Analyses and Systematic Review. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. 2019 Dec;38(12):1214-1218.
- Doi S, Fujiwara T, Ochi M, Isumi A, Kato T. Association of sleep habits with behavior problems and resilience of 6- to 7-year-old children: Results from the A-CHILD study, Sleep Medicine. 2018; 45:62-68
- Inoue S, Kato T, Yorifuji T. Self-rated school adjustment and absenteeism: An epidemiological study. Health Behavior & Policy Review. 2018; 5(3): 59-66
- Urayama KY, Takagi M, Kawaguchi T, Matsuo K, Tanaka Y, Ayukara Y, Arakawa Y, Hasegawa D, Yuza Y, Kaneko T, Noguchi T, Taneyama Y, Ota S, Inukai T, Yanagimachi M, Keino D, Koike K, Toyama D, Nakazawa Y, Kurosawa H, Nakamura K, Moriwaki K, Goto H, Sekinaka Y, Morita D, Kato M, Takita J, Tanaka T, Inazawa H, Koh K, Ishida Y, Ohara A, Mizutani S, Matsuda F, Manabe A. Regional evaluation of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia genetic susceptibility loci among Japanese. Scientific Reports. 2018; 8:789. doi:10.1038/s41598-017-19127-7
- Morimoto N, Kasuga C, Tanaka A, Kamachi K, Ai M, Urayama KY, Tanaka A. Association between dietary fibre: carbohydrate intake ratio and insulin resistance in Japanese adults without type 2 diabetes. British Journal of Nutrition. 2018; 119(6):620-628
- Okubo Y*, Michihata N, Morisaki N, Hangai M, Matsui H, Fushimi K, Yasunaga H. Recent trends in practice patterns and comparisons between immunoglobulin and corticosteroid in pediatric immune thrombocytopenia. International Journal of Hematology. 2018;107(1):75-82
- Okubo Y*, Michihata N, Uda K, Morisaki N, Miyairi I, Matsui H, Fushimi K, Yasunaga H. Dose-response relationship between weight status and clinical outcomes in children hospitalized with influenza-related respiratory infections. Pediatric Pulmonology. 2018;53(2):218-223
- Okubo Y*, Michihata N, Morisaki N, Uda K, Miyairi I, Ogawa Y, Matsui H, Fushimi K, Yasunaga H. Recent trends in practice patterns and impact of corticosteroid use on pediatric Mycoplasma pneumoniae-related respiratory infections. Respiratory Investigation. 2018;56(2):158-165
- Okubo Y*, Michihata N, Morisaki N, Kinoshita N, Miyairi I, Urayama K, Yasunaga H. Recent patterns in antibiotic use for children with group A streptococcal infections in Japan. Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance. 2018;13:55-59
- Kato T, Kumamaru H, Fukuda S. Associations of men's participation in housework and childcare with parity progression: A Japanese population-based study. Asian Population Studies. 2018; 14(3) 290-309
- Kato T, Yorifuji T, Yamakawa M, Inoue S. National data showed that delayed sleep in six-year-old children was associated with excessive use of electronic devices at 12 years. Acta Paediatrica. 2018; 107(8), 1439-1448
- Kato T. Associations of gender role attitudes with fertility intentions: a Japanese population-based study on single men and women of reproductive ages. Sexual＆Reproductive Healthcare. 2018; 16: 15-22
- Horiuchi Y, Tanimoto S, Latif AHMM, Urayama KY, Aoki J, Yahagi K, Okuno T, Sato Y, Nakajima H, Hara K, Tanabe K. Identifying Novel Phenotypes of Acute Heart Failure Using Cluster Analysis of Clinical Variables. International Journal of Cardiology. 2018,1;262:57-63
- Delnord M*, Mortensen L, Hindori-Mohangoo A, Blondel B, Gissler M, Kramer MR, Richards JL, Deb-Rinker P, Morisaki N, Nassar N, Nybo Andersen AM, Kramer MS, Zeitlin J. Can we apply a population approach to preterm birth prevention? An ecological study of preterm and early term births in 34 high-income countries. European Journal of Public Health. 2018;28(2):303-309
- Okubo Y*, Morisaki N, Michihata N, Matsui H, Fushimi K, Yasunaga H. Dose-response relationship between weight status and clinical outcomes in infants hospitalized with respiratory syncytial virus infections. Pediatric Pulmonology. 2018;53(4):461-466
- Beltempo M, Isayama T, Vento M, Lui K, Kusuda S, Lehtonen L, Sjors G, Hakansson S, Adams M, Noguchi A, Reichman B, Darlow B, Morisaki N, Bassler D, Pratesi S, Lee S, Lodha A, Modi N, Helenius K, Shah PS*. Respiratory management of extremely preterm infants: an international survey. Neonatology. 2018;13;114(1):28-36
- Daru J*, Zamora J, Felix BF, Vogel J, Oladapo O, Morisaki N, Tuncalp O, Torloni MR, Mittal S, Jayaratne K, Lumbiganon P, Togoobaatar G, Khan KS. Severe anemia and maternal mortality: Multilevel and propensity score regression analyses of the World Health Organization Multi-country Survey. Lancet Global Health. 2018;6(5):e548-e554
- Morisaki N*, Isayama T, Samura O, Wada K, Kusuda S. Socioeconomic inequity in survival for deliveries at 22-24 weeks of gestation. Archives of Diseases in Childhood. Fetal and Neonatal Edition. 2018;103(3):F202-F207
- Sasaki H*, Kakee N, Morisaki N, Mori R, Ravens-Sieberer U, Bullinger M. Assessing health-related quality of life in Japanese children with chronic conditions: Validation of the DISABKIDS Chronic Generic Module. Health Quality Life Outcomes. 2018;2;16(1):85
- Ogawa K*, Morisaki N, Kobayashi M, Jwa SC, Tani Y, Sago H, Horikawa R, Fujiwara T. Maternal vegetable intake in early pregnancy and wheeze in offspring at the age of 2 years. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2018;72(5):761-771
- Yamaoka Y, Morisaki N*, Noguchi H, Takahashi H, Tamiya N. Comprehensive assessment of risk factors of cause-specific infant deaths in Japan. Journal of Epidemiology. 2018;5;28(6):307-314
- Uda K, Okubo Y*, Shoji K, Miyairi I, Morisaki N, Michihata N, Matsui H, Fushimi K, Yasunaga H. Trends of neuraminidase inhibitors use in children with influenza related respiratory infections. Pediatric Pulmonology. 2018;53(6):802-808
- Okubo Y*, Michihata N, Morisaki N, Yoshida K, Matsui H, Fushimi K, Yasunaga H. Effects of glucocorticoids on hospitalized children with anaphylaxis. Pediatric Emergency Care. 2018. doi: 10.1097/PEC.0000000000001544 [Epub ahead of print]
- Matsuyama Y, Fujiwara T, Ochi M, Isumi A, Kato T. Self-control and dental caries among elementary school children in Japan. Journal of Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology. 2018;46(5):465-471. doi: 10.1111/cdoe.12387. Epub 2018 Jun 4
- Doi S, Fujiwara T, Ochi M, Isumi A, Kato T. Relationship between leaving children home alone and child mental health in Japan: Results from the A-CHILD study. Frontiers in Psychiatry. 2018; 9:192. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2018.00192
- Tani Y, Fujiwara T, Ochi M, Isumi A, Kato T. Does eating vegetable first prevent child overweight in Japan? A-CHILD study. Frontiers in Pediatrics. 2018;6:134. doi: 10.3389/fped.2018.00134
- Kachi Y, Fujiwara T, Yamaoka Y, Kato T. Parental socioeconomic status and weight faltering in infants in Japan. Frontiers in Pediatrics. 2018;6:127. doi: 10.3389/fped.2018.00127
- Okubo Y, Handa A. Nationwide trend analysis of pediatric inpatients with immune thrombocytopenia in the United States. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. 2018;40:e140-144
- Lee M, Ohde S, Urayama KY, Takahashi O, Fukui T. Weather and Health Symptoms. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2018;15(8):1670
- Smith L, Morisaki N*, Morken NH, Gissler M, Deb-Rinker P, Rouleau J, Hakansson S, Kramer MR, Kramer MS. An International Comparison of Death Classification at 22 to 25 Weeks' Gestational Age. Pediatrics. 2018;142(1). pii: e20173324
- Okubo Y*, Michihata N, Morisaki N, Sundel R, Yasunaga H. Association between dose of glucocorticoids and coronary artery lesions in Kawasaki disease. Arthritis Care & Research. 2018;70(7):1052-1057
- Ogawa K, Morisaki N*, Sago H, Fujiwara T, Horikawa R. Association between women's perceived ideal gestational weight gain during pregnancy and pregnancy outcomes. Scientific Reports. 2018;8(1):11574
- Darlow BA, Vento M, Beltempo M, Lehtonen L, Håkansson S, Reichman B, Helenius K, Sjörs G, Sigali E, Lee S, Noguchi A, Morisaki N, Kusuda S, Bassler D, San Feliciano L, Adams M, Isayama T, Shah PS, Lui K: on behalf of the International Network for Evaluating Outcomes (iNeo) of Neonates. Variations in Oxygen Saturation Targeting, and Retinopathy of Prematurity Screening and Treatment Criteria in Neonatal Intensive Care Units: An International Survey. Neonatology. 2018;114(4):323-331
- Shibasaki J, Aida N, Morisaki N, Tomiyasu M*, Nishi Y, Toyoshima K. Changes in Brain Metabolite Concentrations after Neonatal Hypoxic-ischemic Encephalopathy. Radiology. 2018 June 12. doi: 10.1148/radiol.2018172083. [Epub ahead of print] 2018; 288(3):840-848
- Ando E, Morisaki N*, Asakura K, Sasaki S, Fujiwara T, Horikawa R. Association between Vitamin D intake and serum 25(OH)D levels in Japanese children. British Journal of Nutrition. 2018; 120(9):1034-1044
- Isumi A, Fujiwara T, Ochi M, Kato T. Mediating effects of parental psychological distress and individual-level social capital on the association between child poverty and maltreatment in Japan. Child Abuse & Neglect. 2018;83:142-150
- Kizuki M, Ochi M, Isumi A, Kato T, Fujiwara T. Parental time of returning home from work and child mental health among first-year primary school students in Japan: Result from A-CHILD Study. Frontiers in Pediatrics. 2018;6:179. doi: 10.3389/fped.2018.00179
- Okubo Y, Handa A, Nariai H. National survey of factors associated with repeated admissions due to febrile seizure. Seizure. 2018;61:149-152
- Okubo Y, Nochioka K, Testa MA. Nationwide survey of hospitalization due to pediatric food-induced anaphylaxis in the US. Pediatric Emergency Care. 2018 Aug 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Nomura O, Okubo Y. The correct use of noninferiority trials. The Journal of Pediatrics. 2018;200:295
- Takahashi T, Okubo Y, Pereda MA, Handa A, Miller S. Factors associated with mechanical ventilation use in children with sickle cell disease and acute chest syndrome. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. 2018;19:801-809
- Shibasaki J, Aida N, Morisaki N, Tomiyasu M*, Nishi Y, Toyoshima K. Changes in Brain Metabolite Concentrations after Neonatal Hypoxic-ischemic Encephalopathy. Radiology. 2018 Sep; 288(3):840-848
- Ando E, Morisaki N*, Asakura K, Sasaki S, Fujiwara T, Horikawa R. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels showed strong seasonality but lacked association with vitamin D intake in 3-year-old Japanese children. British Journal of Nutrition. 2018 Nov;120(9):1034-1044
- Morisaki N, Nagata C, Yasuo S*, Kato K, Sanefuji M, Shibata E, Tsuji M, Senju A, Kawamoto T, Ohga S, Kusuhara K, Morokuma S. Optimal protein intake during pregnancy for reducing the risk of fetal growth restriction: the Japan Environment and Children's Study. British Journal of Nutrition. 2018;120(12):1432-1440
- Inoue S, Kato T, Yorifuji T. Interpersonal Relationships, and Learning Influence Withdrawal from School: A Study among Junior High School Students in Japan. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2018; 15(10)
- GBD 2017 SDG Collaborators. Measuring progress from 1990 to 2017 and projecting attainment to 2030 of the health-related Sustainable Development Goals for 195 countries and territories: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017. Lancet. 2018;392(10159):2091-2138
- Huang M, Inukai T, Kagami K, Abe M, Shinohara T, Watanabe A, Somazu S, Oshiro H, Goi K, Goto H, Minegishi M, Iwamoto S, Urayama KY, Sugita K. Splicing variant profiles and single nucleotide polymorphisms of the glucocorticoid receptor gene in relation to glucocorticoid-sensitivity of B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Hematological Oncology. 2018 Feb;36(1):245-251
- Takahashi T, Okubo Y, Handa A. Acute chest syndrome among children hospitalized with vaso-occlusive crisis: A nationwide study in the United States. Pediatric Blood & Cancer. 2018;65(3).
- Okubo Y, Nochioka T, Testa MA. The impact of pediatric obesity on hospitalized children with lower respiratory tract infections in the United States. Clinical Respiratory Journal. 2018;12(4):1479-1484. doi: 10.1111/crj.12694. Epub 2017 Sep 7
- Maeda K, Hasegawa D, Urayama KY, Tsujimoto S, Azami Y, Ozawa M, Manabe A. Risk factors for psychological and psychosomatic symptoms among children with malignancies. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. 2018;54(4):411-415